One Of California's Leading
Professional License
Defense Law Firms

Photo of attorneys Jeffrey Kravitz and Paul Chan

How can I get my suspended or revoked California medical license reinstated?

On Behalf of | Nov 9, 2021 | Doctor License Defense |

In California, physicians are regulated by the Medical Board of California or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California. Violations of the rules and regulations surrounding the practice of medicine may result in disciplinary action, including a suspension or revocation of your medical license.

Reinstating a suspended or revoked license can be a lengthy and challenging process. You have to meet the requirements of reinstatement and demonstrate to the disciplinary board that you have been adequately rehabilitated and possess enough competency to be allowed to practice again.

You have to meet the minimum requirements

To reinstate a revoked or suspended license in California, you have to satisfy the basic requirements, which include:

  • You must not be serving a sentence for a criminal offense, including probation or parole.
  • If your license was revoked because of physical or mental illness, at least one year must have passed since the disciplinary action.
  • If your license was revoked or suspended for unprofessional conduct, at least three years must have gone by since the disciplinary action.
  • If you are looking to modify a disciplinary action, you may file a petition for modification one year after the disciplinary action starts.

Beyond that, you have to show the disciplinary board that your medical license should be reinstated. You may need to provide supporting evidence to aid in your case which may include verifiable recommendations from licensed physicians or surgeons. 

It is important to note that not all petitions to reinstate revoked or suspended licenses are successful. Therefore, you should proceed carefully with full knowledge of what the law says. It’s particularly important to defend your license from attack — since it’s far easier to keep your license in the first place than to get it reinstated.

FindLaw Network